Monday 11 January 2016

Digital Natives, the Net-Gen, Screen-agers...

Marc Prensky wrote this paper in 2001 and he obviously had a good grasp on digital natives perhaps his own children were part of his study so I can understand why this article was so influential.  
I am not a digital native but I love to use technology and learn from my students and children.  My sons have taught me more about technology than any lesson, text book or course in passing comments and in the “How do you not know this mum?” moments.  I am definitely not a digital immigrant because I believe children can learn in a variety of ways and it should be fun.  
My students are definitely digital natives.  Five and six year old children are so comfortable using smart phones, iPads and tablets so when we use them in Kindergarten they are engaged and love to learn using games.  I have found that while they are comfortable using these items they are not as comfortable using computers and keyboards.  Keyboards are challenging to Kindergarten children as the letters are all uppercase and some children find it difficult to identify uppercase letters unless they are in the child’s name. It appears the children have less experience using computers and keyboards so we need a little more explicit teaching of the keys and skills on this type of technology. I think the variety of experiences of technology is just like any other subject.  Teachers need to know their students prior knowledge to plan and program for the needs of their students.   Like other subjects there will be a range of abilities and teachers need to be able to cater for all the learning needs at whatever level their students are at.
After reading this article I wondered about the differences in our brain.  The sentence “..students think and process information differently from their predecessors” really helped me understand the differences and the challenges I face in the classroom. It also makes me feel better as a mum when my children tell me that I just don’t get it. 
I can understand that some teachers have issues not being the “expert” when teaching technology but most of these teachers are digital immigrants and do not value learning from children. This issue has been discussed at school but until these teachers change their way of thinking or retire the issue will unfortunately remain.


No comments:

Post a Comment